Did you know you can set up a super-fast website for pretty much zero-money? It’s really easy too!
Here are the steps:
- Register your domain with any provider (someone where you can change some DNS records preferably!)
- Sign-up with Cloudflare (or login) and add your domain. A free account will do.
- Point your NameServers to Cloudflare (can be found within your CloudFlare account)
- Sign-up with Github (or login)
- Create a new repository called “your-github-username.github.io” (replacing with your actual username)
- Add a new file called CNAME to your repo with your domain name on the first line (e.g. robkent.co.uk)
- Clone your repository locally - and create a new Jekyll site within it
- Within Cloudflare - create and point 2x A-Records to the IP addresses by following the appropriate link on this page within Github.
- Wait for the DNS to resolve.
And that should be it!
All-in-all it takes around 30mins -1 hour but afterwards you should have a brand-new Jekyll-powered website like this one which is super-fast and hosted for free! (Just remember to keep renewing that domain!)